The Best Axe For Backpacking: Best Picks Of 2023
1. Best Overall: LEXIVON V14 Camping Hatchet, 14-Inch Axe
The LEXIVON V14 Camping Axe is a unique axe that features a strong, yet lightweight design. This axe is the perfect size for camping and tactical applications. The blade is optimized for efficiency to give you more splits with each strike. The blade comes with a handy protective carrying sheath + blade edge guard that keeps your axe safe, protected, and conveniently storable. Read Review
2. Runner Up: Campers Axe Special Edition
The Campers Axe Special Edition is a lightweight, 4.5lb axe that is perfect for chopping logs, small trees and branches or splitting firewood and kindling. This tool is made from high-quality American steel and offers a range of useful features including a hickory handle that's both durable and comfortable to grip. The Campers Axe is so lightweight, you'll hardly notice you're carrying it around. Read Review
3. Best Durable: Edward Tools Harden Camping Axe for Backpacking
Edward Tools Harden Camping Axe is a great tool for backpacking. This heavy-duty forged carbon steel blade head that stays sharp longer, is easy to put on and take off, and has a rubber sheath that makes it easy to put on and take off. With its ergonomic rubber handle, the camping hatchet will give you greater swing momentum and comfort while you're out in the woods. Read Review
4. Best Capacity: iunio Survival Axe, Camping Hatchet for Hiking, Backpacking, Emergency
The iunio Survival Axe is a lightweight camping axe that is perfect for hiking, backpacking, and emergency preparedness. It comes with a protective sheath to keep the blade safe and secure while in transit. This durable camping axe has the grip of a tomahawk and will last a lifetime if taken care of properly! Read Review
Backpacking is an exciting experience. You can spend your time exploring the forests, mountains, lakes, and rivers that you are camping in. It is a great way of spending some quality time outdoors with friends and family. However, there comes a point when you need to haul your gear back to camp as well. That’s where an axe comes in handy.
Whether you are an experienced camper or just want to try backcountry camping for the first time, it’s always helpful to have the right gear with you. An axe is one of the most important pieces of camping equipment because it will help you cut through branches, stakes, and smaller trees so that you can set up your tent and make sure that it stays dry in case of heavy rain.
Following extensive study and analysis, we've come up with the LEXIVON V14 Camping Hatchet, 14-Inch Axe, which we hope will meet your demands. However, it is not the only thing on our list. We also show a full buyer's guide and a number of different options are available to help you find the most suitable.
RELATED: Our top professionals have tested, examined, and ranked the 10 best all around axe of 2023 for you. See our top picks here.
Our Top Picks
- EFFICIENCY - Our camping axe handle features an exclusive Balance point close to the axe head which provides perfect weight distribution, increased swing speed and power. You can count on this Hatchet to deliver superior, long lasting performance.
- SAFETY - The blade comes with a handy Protective Carrying Sheath + Blade Edge Guard that keeps your hatchet safe, protected, and conveniently storable. The axe sheath features a handle for convenience.
- DURABLE - This chopping axe features Forged, Grade-A Carbon Steel, Heat Treated blade with hardened cutting edges which provides a deeper and cleaner cut, improves its density, and makes the axe more durable. The axe blade is fully encased and over-molded on the handle which makes it virtually indestructible.
- EFFECTIVE: Our camping hatchet is designed for easy chopping of Firewood, Logs, Kindling and Branches. The Optimized and aggressive blade angles is designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Ideal for campers, hikers, outdoor activities, preparing wood for bonfires and garden work.
- PROPRIETARY DESIGN: Stronger than the wooden shaft and won’t bend like steel, Our Hatchet is Designed with Innovative reinforced injected fiberglass handle that is; Shock Absorbing, Anti-slip Grip and Weather Resistant. The axe handle has a reinforced back spine to withstand extreme impact.
- OUTDOOR VERSITILITY - Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- GENUINE LEATHER GRIP – Hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH - Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge
- FORGED STEEL CONSTRUCTION – Maximum strength and durability for a lifetime of hard work
- MADE IN THE USA – Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
- HEAVY DUTY FORGED CARBON STEEL blade head that stays sharp longer
- SHEATH INCLUDED - Camping hatchet has a rubber sheath that is easy to put on and take off
- ERGONOMIC RUBBER HANDLE - Grippy comfortable rubber handle for easier use and safety
- BALANCED weight ratio for greater swing momentum and comfortable use
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We guarantee our camping hatchet for life including the blade, handle and sheath
iunio Survival Axe, Camping Hatchet for Hiking, Backpacking, Emergency
- Great Gift Idea: It has many features a stand alone ax doesn't have. Fantastic tool for a long term "bug out bag" or a camping, fishing, off road or hunting trip. Best gift for Campers, Hikers, Hunters, Fishermen, Survivalists, Preppers, Outdoor Enthusiasts, Backpackers, Boy Scouts, or anyone needing tactical and practical tools for your car, SUV, truck, van or RV.
- Camping Axe with Protective Sheath/Camo Wrap! Comes with protective sheath, which protects the axe for extra safety! Easy to attach to your belt like a really cool bushcraft warrior! Camo wrap is also included not only for visual enhancement but the wrap also provides the user both a better grip and cushioning for the hands.
- Hatchet with Ingenious Tubular Engineering! This survival axe assembles or disassembles smoothly. Partially assembled, it can be a short axe if you are in a close and compact situation or fully assembled for regular use. This axe can be different sizes for different trips. Furthermore, the tube sections each have available space for small first aid kits, fishing gear and tackle, survival gear or anything else you can imagine. This is a good "back up" hatchet to have for "just in case" needs!
- Iunio camping hatchet lasts for life: Our hatchets are built to last! You take care of our hatchet and we'll take care of you! All replacement requests are supported by our awesome customer service team anytime!!!
- A Survival Multi-Tool! Several uses in one survival axe that can be used for splitting small logs, preparing kindling as well as extracting yourself or others from vehicles, breaking glass/windows, wilderness navigation, building shelters, starting fires and engraving, Boy Scout and wilderness survival training and more. The usefulness is limited only by your imagination! You do not need to be an expert survivalist to benefit from the multiple uses of this survival axe.
- WOOD HATCHET AND HAMMER AXE IN ONE: Wood chopping axe can also be used as a hammer axe; the hatchet is always ready for outdoor wood splitting, pounding tent stakes, and tinder breakdown
- SOG for life: Take care of your camp axes and hatchets and we’ll take care of you; we gladly consider repairs and replacements for your properly maintained SOG Camp Axe
- CAMPING HATCHET WITH SHEATH: This small axe and hiking hatchet is lightweight and easy to carry; hand axe with sheath is a portable outdoor tool featuring glass-reinforced nylon to safely protect the blade
- STAINLESS STEEL CHOPPING AXE BLADE: Small forest axe, camping hatchet and backpacking hatchet features a 3.1-inch blade; small hatchet measures 11.5 inches in total length
- LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPING AXES AND HATCHETS: This light but heavy duty camp hatchet and survival hatchet also serves as a handy backpacking axe; hand axe includes textured GRN handle for comfortable use
KURUI Wood Chopping Axe with Sheath
- Strong Composite – Our splitting axe consists of a strong helve made of high-quality fiberglass composite, which can effectively reduce the vibration while splitting wood, and a durable and high-strength axe head made of hardened carbon steel, which stays sharp longer that traditional axes. This durable 15-inch splitting axe is built for a better using experience.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – The handle of KURUI splitting axe tool is covered with flexible TPR composite for a better shock absorbing result; what’s more, the black TPR handle is also of excellent resistance to slipping. The ergonomically designed proportion of the head and handle offers ultimate using comfort.
- WHAT YOU GET – You will receive 1 15-inch chopping axe, 1 blade protection cover and 1 axe sheath. Each outdoor splitting axe comes with our 1-month free refund & replacement warranty to ensure your shopping satisfaction and worry-free service for you!
- GREAT HELPER FOR CAMPING & GARDENING – KURUI hand axe makes it easy for you to deal with solid wood, kindling, stems and twigs with high efficiency, serving as your ideal and reliable companion for gardening, camping, surviving, hiking and all other outdoor activities.
- Easy Maintenance – When you receive this firewood axe, you will find that it has already been sharpened, so you can directly use it for chopping wood easily; when you need to sharpen it, just use a sharpening stone and grind on the blade lightly.
LIANTRAL Folding Military Shovel Camping Axe Portable for Backpacking
- Package including a shovel board(built-in hexagonal wrench, saw, ruler, rope cutter), an axe head, a multifunctional knife, a whistle and flint, an ice axe, a safety hammer, 2 extension bars. Great for outdoor activities as backpacking or emergency.
- Customer first- Any issue about the product, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We will be glad to assist you.
- Made of quality carbon steel which is high-strength and wear-resistant; the handle and extension bars were made by Aerospace Grade Aluminum alloy. This camping shovel is practicability, functionality and security.
- Assemble required, thanks to the detachable function, it's more convenience to carry for camping, backpacking. Comes with a store bag, it also would be a decent car emergency survival kits without taking much space.
- The LIANTRAL SHOVEL AXE SET is a great innovation for the adventurer. Compare to other shovel, it comes with a survival axe which allows customer to replace the tools of the shovel or the axe to meet your different needs.
- RELIABLE: Compact axe with orange paracord wrapped handle provides a secure grip along with 8 ft of length; protective sheath included for safe storage and storing magnesium fire starter
- VERSATILITY: Compact hatchet with a 4mm stainless steel black oxide-coated blade can be used to create sparks, integrated rope cutter and also has 3 built-in hex wrenches (3/8-,9/16- and 11/16-inch) for tightening loose bolts
- BE PREPARED: Multi-function outdoor tool ideal for camping, backpacking, hunting, emergency and wilderness survival
- DIMENSIONS: 9.7" L X 3.4" W X 0.75" D (Hatchet Only) and weighs 11.4 oz; 10" L X 4" W X 1.25" D (In Sheath with Fire Starter); Paracord unwound provides about 8' of length
- 【WORRY-FREE PURCHASE】 We stand behind our product with pride. Full refund if If you’re unsatisfied with our products. Our products have passed various strict export inspections and meet international export standards. Please rest assured to buy.
- 【USE AND STORE EASILY】This folding axe comes in a sheath, amazingly compact and portable, thus makes this tactical axe the best emergency tool for outdoor camping, hiking and hunting. This multifunctional axe is also a perfect gift for your family and friends.
- 【ADJUSTABLE LENGTH】The LIANTRAL camping axe designed with extension bars, you can adjust the length of the handle according to your needs. Compare to other axe, this folding survival axe combines axe, shovel, bottle opener, fish scaler tool, fire starter, emergency whistle, glass breaker, safety hammer, compass, hand rope, etc.
- 【HIGH QUALITY】Premium steel for the axe head, and special thick aluminum alloy for the handle and extension bars. Designed and produced with the sports and outdoor enthusiast in mind. Strong enough to cut, Open Fire Hydrant, Saw Wood, etc. Perfect to be used as camping axe or camping hatchet.
- 【CAMPING MULTITOOL】Portable Axe and Shovel two-in-one, this survival tool is great for chopping, cutting, splitting, chipping, trimming, opening, scaling, making fire, shoveling, whistling, navigating and etc in a dangerous escape and more. It can also be used as a tactical axe, it is a military portable folding axe with sharp blade, adjustable handles and a sheath. Which is the smartest and most compact life-saving kit of its kind
- Includes Full Grain Leather Sheath and 1 Oz Bottle of Axe Guard Protective Oil - All Helko Werk axes and hatchets include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axe blade and head. The Axe Guard oil is a metal protecting oil to help maintain the steel of your axe head, and prevent rust over time.
- Dimensions: Head Weight: 1-1/2 lb, Length: 20 in, Total Weight: 2-1/4 lb
- C50 High Carbon Steel: 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe heads are open-face drop forged individually by hand from German C50 high grade carbon steel. Drop forging is a process in which the blacksmith uses tongs to hold and shape hot steel as a drop hammer falls repeatedly onto it.
- Grade A American Hickory Handle - Linseed Oil Finish - 150 GRIT SANDED Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle. All Helko Werk camping axes and hatchets have handles individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- Handmade in Germany - The Rheinland Pack Axe is lightweight, compact, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness. Comfortable to use one or two handed, this pack axe will excel at making kindling, limbing branches, building your shelter, and other light splitting and cutting work. The Rheinland pattern, a traditional German wide-bit blade, is exceptionally well suited for cutting work. Handmade in Germany, these axes are named after the region’s famous Rhein River Valley.
What to Look For in a best axe for backpacking?
You may think purchasing seems simple, and it sometimes does the opposite! Studying the outcome of best axe for backpacking will take a considerable amount of time. Also, there are multiple sides of best axe for backpacking you need to check. That’s the reason why we’re all ready to assist you with best axe for backpacking issue.
You should pay more attention to the following criteria of best axe for backpacking in 2023:
Handle Length And A Sturdy Grip
Safety and efficiency are also key factors. It shouldn't slip, or cause injury to you. To make life easier and safer, choose an axe/hatchet that has a grippy grip.
Non-slip materials such as rubber and wood are used to design the tail. The tail should be capable of withstanding humid conditions. You can even find axes that are specially made to improve grip and comfort by including patterns in the tail.
The Axe Head & The Blade
Flat edges will stick better to flat surfaces than those with sharper edges. You should think about the material you will be using most, and then choose a survival knife/survival hatchet that matches that material.
To make sure your axe fits you properly, it is best to try it out as soon as possible. Swing it with both hands and make a choice whether it is light/heavy/long/short/portable enough for what you need it for.
It is easy to sharpen a hatchet by running a file across its head and a whetstone. It is simple and inexpensive to replace the handle of a traditional hatchet. Your hatchet will be a valuable asset for the rest of your life as long as it is kept clean and protected from water.
Ease Of Splitting
Splitting is easier with longer handles and heavier heads. When shopping for similar models, be sure to consider the shape and construction of your handle.
If you are unsure about what you want, you can look into larger axes. You may find that some of the smaller camp hatchets are not what you want. In this case, you will need a full-sized, heavy-duty axe.
Thickness And Sharpness
It all comes down to the purpose of your axe. It's more practical to cut wood or do heavy carving in a survival situation than it is to make intricate carving.
What Is The Best Camping Hatchet?
The individual as well as the intended purpose of the hatchet are the most important factors in choosing the right camping hatchet. While some companies have an excellent reputation, it is almost impossible to find the best camping hatchet that suits everyone.
You should prioritize your needs and priorities, then weigh the pros and cons of each option. It may be that your best choice for camping is not the one for your partner.
How Do I Sharpen A Hatchet?
While everyone will have their preferred method of sharpening the hatchet, it is very much like sharpening knives. You might have to file the edges depending on the condition of the blade.
Do I Need A Hatchet For Camping?
The hatchet is a highly-recommended survival and camping tool and one of most important tools. The oldest known human-made tool we have ever discovered is the "hand axe" made of stone, which dates back more than a million years. They are technically called hatchets. A hatchet can be your friend for woodwork and fire preparation even if you don't plan on carrying a chainsaw.
What Is A Hatchet Good For?
Hatchets can be used for a variety of purposes depending on their shape or construction. They are most commonly used for cutting and splitting small sections of wood. The diameter of a Hatchet's forearm is approximately the same as that of a normal forearm, but slightly larger.
Because of their small size, hatchets make excellent tools to perform more complex bushcraft tasks. These tools are ideal for creating shelters, carving woodwork projects and other tasks. If you don't have a field dressing knife after a hunt, hatchets can be used to cut through bone or cartilage.
Are Hatchets And Tomahawks The Same Thing?
Although tomahawks and hatchets look very much the same, tomahawks have a more emphasis on lightweight and throwing. Hatchets are heavier, more concerned with chopping wood and less about striking a target.
How Do I Choose Between A Hatchet And An Axe?
It all comes down to space. A hatchet is more effective than an axe if it can be kept in a garage or car. A hatchet is a great option for those who travel by foot and need to have a lot of power, but are limited on space.
All in all, anything you need to acquire for your convenient purchase of best axe for backpacking is presented above. Admittedly, this information is accurate, thanks to our product consulting experts with a wealth of experience. Furthermore, we keep best axe for backpacking of 2023 data up-to-date at all times. It is helpful if you are a busy person. Try to check us as much as possible!
You are expected to contact us if any problems or inaccuracies with best axe for backpacking occurs. With your feedback, we can improve our data better!
READ NEXT: The Large Campfire Coffee Pot: Greatest Buying Guide In 2023