The Best Kayak Rack For Car: Top Picks & Buying Guides 2023
1. Best Overall: TMS® 2 Pairs J-Bar Rack HD Kayak Carrier Canoe
TMS® 2 Pairs J-Bar Rack HD Kayak Carrier Canoe is perfect for all your kayaking needs. It comes with a high performance stainless steel frame and ton of features that ensure you are protected and in the water. The wide mouth J bar design makes loading and unloading easy. And it's quick on/off hardware ensures fast installation and removal. Read Review
2. Best For The Price: DRSPORTS Two Pairs Universal Foldable J-Bar Kayak Rack Folding Car
DRSPORTS Two Pairs Universal Foldable J-Bar Kayak Rack Folding Car is a kayak rack with an adjustable design, which is compatible with most crossbars, such as square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars, easy to install and quick on hardware. Except the round bar. The soft cushions attached to each bar to prevent kayak from rubbing and damage. Read Review
3. Best Sturdiness: 2 Pairs Heavy Duty Kayak Rack-Includes 4 Pcs Ratchet Tie
Save your car, your kayak and your back with the 2 Pairs Heavy Duty Kayak Rack-Includes 4 Pcs Ratchet Tie. This simple, low-cost solution to carrying your kayak is designed to fit most factory or aftermarket square and flat crossbars, and will not scratch you. Add to that the easy installation, and this becomes a must have item for any kayaker! Read Review
4. Best Easy To Assemble: Leader Accessories Folding Kayak Rack 4 PCS
Leader Accessories Folding Kayak Rack 4 PCS is the perfect kayak rack for your car. This rack features a quick release design and adjustable arms that will fit most types of kayaks easily. The rubber pedal keeps your kayak in place and the foam padding protects your vehicle from scratches. Read Review
When you have limited storage space in your vehicle, you need to find as many ways as possible to save it. That’s why having a kayak rack is essential. If you have a car that doesn’t have much storage space, a kayak rack is going to be one of the most useful things for you.
While having a kayak isn’t necessary if you just want to drive around and enjoy your surroundings. However, once you decide that it will be part of your lifestyle too, there are so many reasons why getting one is a must-have. Let’s talk about some things you should know when looking for the right kayak storage rack for your car.
Before making our recommendations, our specialists spend substantial time researching and analyzing your requirements. Then we found the TMS® 2 Pairs J-Bar Rack HD Kayak Carrier Canoe is the greatest choice for its high-quality performance. If you're looking for another one, consider DRSPORTS Two Pairs Universal Foldable J-Bar Kayak Rack Folding Car.
RELATED: Friendly, expert advice and help from real experts to find best kayak garage storage of 2023. We compiled the list of top models in the guide here.
Our Top Picks
- Features: Steel design with adjustable padding for carrying strength and kayak protection Wide mouth J bar offers easier loading and unloading Quick on/off hardware ensures fast installation and removal Optimally sized J style carrier leaves roof space All surface rust-resistant coating and hardware for longer product life Includes all mounting hardware and 2 straps Accommodates kayaks up to 36" wide and 75lbs. Compatible with most crossbars and load bars. Powder-coated finish for rust resistance
- This Kayak Carrier designed mounts to virtually all crossbars and load bars on the market. The carrier secures the kayak on its side, consuming minimal space on the load bar. As shown in the pictures we put the Kayak Rack on the Ladder Rack Bar.(sold separatly). A maximum of 4 sets of kayak racks can be mounted on a full size truck. Save your space.
- KAYAK CAR TOP CARRIER A simple, low-cost solution to carrying your kayak ITEM#: KAYAK-RK-J(2SET) CONDITION: BRAND NEW QUANTITY: 2 PAIRS
Best For The Price
DRSPORTS Two Pairs Universal Foldable J-Bar Kayak Rack Folding Car
- 【 Folding Design 】Foldable J bar cradle design is going to save most place of your car roof top. And minimize the height of car roof to allow your car to fit in parking garages and not have to remove. Folding J bar function is going to minimize vibration and noise when you don’t need to use it.
- 【 Scratch Reduction Design 】 Foam foam gasket and rubber pedal design reduce kayak scratches and prevent canoe or kayak friction. as well as full protection of cross bars and kayak roof rack.
- 【 Multipurpose 】Lashing straps, hook ropes and hood loops are all included make the loading of kayak, canoe, surf board and SUP paddle boat more easy and quick.
- FEATURES: Steel design with adjustable padding for carrying strength and kayak protection Wide mouth J bar offers easier loading and unloading Quick on/off hardware ensures fast installation and removal Optimally sized J style carrier leaves roof space All surface rust-resistant coating and hardware for longer product life Includes all mounting hardware and 2 straps Accommodates kayaks up to 36" wide and 100lbs Will fit most factory or aftermarket square,oval and flat crossbars.
- EASY INSTALLATION:Mounting hardware design USES 2 PCS, equipped with EVA sticker in order to protect your car bar, will not scratch you.Will fit most factory or aftermarket square and flat crossbars.
- SECURITY FEATURES:in order to ensure that customers have a good trip and safe, this product USES the loose to prevent the installation of the screw, each 2 sets of Mounting hardware.Before and after the configuration has 10 feet long ratchet rope.1 inch wide, 10-foot long, blue and high quality belt buckles can be maintained for a long time without breakage and safety and reliability，The strongest factory tested tie down straps: 600 lb break strength
Best Easy To Assemble
Leader Accessories Folding Kayak Rack 4 PCS
- [ REDUCE SCRATCH DESIGN] – Foam Padding and Rubber Pedal design to reduce scratch of your kayak and prevent the canoe or kayak from rubbing.
- [ MULTI PURPOSE USE ] – Easy to Install, use this car roof rack to carry Kayak, Canoe, Surf board, Ski board, Snow Board and SUP. Extra 4 pcs tie down straps including.
- [ HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION ] – The racks are made of 22mm diameter and 1.5mm thick steel tube, 8.5 "widening design, stronger than else. Black Powder-Coated Steel for Durability & Rust Prevention Plus Long-Lasting, can resist all weather condition and use for a long life.150 Lbs Tested, easy and safe for your transport.
Best Easy To Install
PaddleSports+ Kayak Roof Rack Sets for Cars and SUVs
- Simple Set Up - Detailed and easy to follow instruction manual included to help get you out kayaking on your next adventure or surfing the waves as quickly as possible
- Travel With Ease - Taking a Kayak, Canoe, or Surfboard on your next adventure has never been so easy. Simply Mount the J-Bars on the crossbars, and secure the Kayak with the included straps
- Padded Design For Additional Protection - Kayak Carrier Set is made durable in its steel design, but is also padded to ensure no damage is done when transporting your kayak or canoe
- EASY TO STORAGE - Foldable design, when they are not in use just un-strap them, then keep them in the Storage bag.
- EASY TO INSTALL - No tools required, the soft rack includes 2 tie down straps, 2 quick loop straps,2 tie-down ropes to attach the pads to your car’s roof and hold the load in place.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY - MeeFar soft roof racks fit your vehicles with or without gutters. They ideally suited for carrying your kayak surfboard SUP canoe.
- 🛶【Rubber Pedal & Foam Protector】The foam padding and the rubber base cover are made of real rubber and foam. They are Anti-Slip, water and sun resistant.
- 🛶【4 Racks】Wide mouth J-bar makes loading and unloading easier.Fit most factory or aftermarket square,oval and flat crossbars.
- 🛶【Indented Tubing Design】Indented tubing design and strong, stable and pre-punched holes are for perfect alignment.
- Includes limited lifetime manufacturer's warranty
- E-coated, corrosion-resistant steel construction holds up to years of abuse
- Universal JAWZ mounting hardware fits round, square, and factory oval cross rails
- 【Durability & Strong Support】PIRIPARA Kayak roof rack are made of sturdy and high quality alloy steel. Come with 2 Pairs(4pcs) kayak rack, can hold 2 kayaks. Total load capcity up to 150 lbs.
- 【J-Bar Kayak Rack】Kayak carrier rack design in wide mouth J bar offers easier loading and unloading. Optimally sized J style carrier creates more useful roof spaces.
- 【Protection Design】Heavy Duty Steel Framing with adjustable padding for carrying strength and kayak protection during transport, ensure no damage is done when transporting your kayak or canoe. All surface rust-resistant coating and hardware for longer product life.
Best Mounting System
AVENN Rooftop J-Bar Kayak Rack
- [VERSATILE USE] This J-bar style rack can also be used for hauling skis, canoes, paddleboards, surfboards, snowboards, wakeboards and other outdoor gear.
- [GEAR INCLUDED] This rack comes with 16 foot ratchet straps and 10 foot adjustable straps with S-hooks, ensuring that your kayak is safely secured.
- [EASY INSTALLATION] This rooftop rack includes all of the mounting hardware that you need to install it on your vehicle.
What to Look For in a best kayak rack for car?
Actually, when you decide to invest in best kayak rack for car for yourself, lots of things to consider! It's harder to choose since the product comes with many types, functions, and features from different manufacturers. That’s why you should find a reliable space to acquire knowledge related to the item.
You are supposed to rest assured because we are here to support you with that. Our article here is conducted with the support of high-tech tools, including AI tools and Big Data. As a result, the authority and precision of the information are substantial.
We’ve highlighted the essential features of the best kayak rack for car below. Along with checking out the list of best models in the list, you should also carefully read the buying guide here:
Vehicle Make And Model
Type Of Kayak Roof Rack
J-cradles are used to carry kayaks along their sides
To transport kayaks upside down, saddles
Foam blocks are lightweight,, and great for short trips
You should not have any trouble choosing the right kayak car roof rack. Are you still unsure where to begin? It's easy! These are our top five kayak roof racks that we have tested and recommended.
The Number Of Kayaks
Cradle Or Saddle
Should Kayaks Be Transported Upside Down?
To prevent water from leaking, kayaks must be carried with their cockpit facing downward when travelling in adverse weather conditions. A cockpit seal is recommended for kayaks that must be transported upright.
How Far Apart Should Roof Racks Be For A Kayak?
It's simple. The answer is simple. If you have a sit-on top kayak, align the cross bars and the kayak cups. The plastic could warp if the bars are moved too close together. It is not recommended to place the bars too closely together.
What’s The Best Way To Transport A Kayak?
Because they are more stable than temporary block systems, crossbar roof racks make the most efficient way to transport a kayak. Roof racks should be fastened at the crossbars, as well as between your vehicle and your kayak's bow or stern. Composite kayaks, which are made of rotomolded plastic (plastic), can be carried upside-down or on the edge. However, they should be transported on the hull. By ensuring that the kayak is not too tightly lashed, cradles reduce chances of it being damaged. They are great for kayak transport in bad weather or at high speed.
How Do You Lift And Carry A Kayak By Yourself?
Standing on your left side, the kayak's bow (front) should face you. The stern (rear), should be facing you.
To pull the kayak toward you, bend your knees.
Place the bottom of your kayak on your bent leg, and then lift it up to your thighs.
Move the cockpit's rim away from your body and lift it up onto your right shoulder.
Slowly raise the kayak to standing position, with your right shoulder supporting it. You can now carry the kayak to your destination.
These steps will work for kayaks loaded atop cars. To load the kayak from the right side, you will need to stand in front of it and use your left hand to lift the kayak onto the shoulder.
How Many Kayaks Fit On A Roof Rack?
Standard roof racks are capable of accommodating 2 kayaks. These can be further secured for safety purposes. This is the largest capacity available and the preferred choice by most. There are also roof racks available that will hold up to four kayaks. These can be stored in the vertical or sideways position.
You may be able to fit a few more kayaks in regular 2-kayak roof racks. However, we do not recommend this. You can buy additional fasteners to attach more kayaks. However, it is not guaranteed that you will not damage any of your gear.
Is A Temporary Foam Rack Or Permanent Roof Rack Is Better?
Each rack has its advantages. You don't have to think about many factors when purchasing temporary foam racks. They can be damaged if they aren't as sturdy as the other types of racks. The installation is also difficult.
Permanent racks, on the other hand are extremely durable and efficient. They also offer a simple and easy loading process.
After knowing the suitable kinds of best kayak rack for car and the features you wish, it’s high time for you to start your shopping. Note that you shouldn’t run out to a particular store or start scrolling through online sales just yet. With the development of technology, especially the expansion of sale sites, you can easily find your buddy.
Remember to check out our site weekly round-up to ensure that the current sales on best kayak rack for car perform well in our tests. So you can catch up with them as soon as possible. Would you please give us your feedback for better service? Many thanks!
READ NEXT: The Large Campfire Coffee Pot: Greatest Buying Guide In 2023