The Best Roof Rack Cargo Carrier For 2023
1. Best Of The Best: Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag, Black, 15 Cubic Feet
This Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag is a perfect choice. This rugged, waterproof, and fade-resistant bag can accommodate all your essentials while keeping them dry and organized. With eight cinch straps with buckles and a 16-inch carrying strap, it's easy to get your cargo on the roof of your car or bike. The oversized zipper closure with stay-dry flaps, strong seams, and a convenient fold for Read Review
2. Runner Up: MeeFar Car Roof Bag XBEEK Rooftop top Cargo Carrier Bag 20 Cubic feet
The MeeFar XBEEK roof bag is a soft shell luggage carrier with 1x anti-slip mat, 1x luggage lock, 6x security hooks, and 1x storage box. It can be quickly and easily installed in minutes. Made of soft shell material, it can be folded into the storage bag to save space while not in use. With its large storage space of 20 cubic feet (51” L x 40” W x 17” H), the XBEEK Read Review
3. Best Quality: JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier for Car - Large Roof Rack Cargo Carrier
JEGS has created the greatest roof cargo carrier on earth. With its aerodynamic design, this 18 cubic foot HDPE plastic hard shell is extremely fuel efficient as well as waterproof. This durable and watertight storage container offers a four-corner locking system, front latch and weather-tight seal to protect your gear from the harsh elements. It also provides easy loading and unloading from either side of the car for smooth travel and hassle-free storage. Read Review
4. Best Convenient: XCAR Roof Rack Carrier Basket Rooftop Cargo Carrier with Extension Black Car
The XCAR Roof Rack Carrier Basket is the perfect accessory for your rooftop cargo carrier. This roof rack cargo basket can hold up to 150 lbs and is built for the outdoor adventurer's lifestyle. This roof rack features four universal U-bolts, accommodating square cross bars up to 4.6" wide x 1.375" thick or round bars up to 1.375" in diameter, and has a free-standing design for easy storage when not in use. Made of high-quality steel and powder Read Review
When it comes to your car, having a reliable roof rack is a necessity. Not only do they help you load things onto your car, but they also serve as an extension of your trunk. They’re great for carrying luggage or anything that you need quick access to.
To make the most of your roof rack and its extra storage space, you’ll need a cargo carrier. These can be found as part of a cargo vest or as separate accessories. Whichever type you have, there are some key features that will help you choose the right one for you. This article highlights the pros and cons of using different types of roof racks with cargo carriers along with their key features so that you can get the best fit for your needs.
However, after investing in 18 hours, we've come up with a name that's worthy of your requirement: Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag, Black, 15 Cubic Feet. If you desire extra features not included in this model, you might look into another one, MeeFar Car Roof Bag XBEEK Rooftop top Cargo Carrier Bag 20 Cubic feet. It could better suit your needs.
Our Top Picks
- Rooftop cargo carrier bag with 15-cubic-foot storage capacity
- Oversized zipper closure with stay-dry flaps; strong seams; folds for compact storage; storage bag/carrying case included
- Backed by an Amazon Basics one-year limited warranty
- MORE SECURITY - Come with BONUS combination lock, it will not only prevent the zippers from slipping, but also adds security to luggage;
- 100% WATERPROOF &TEARPROOF MATERIAL - Made of 100% waterproof material, 700D PVC tarpaulin, Grid material with High frequency voltage technology, durable and heavy duty style bag;
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY - The MeeFar XBEEK roof bag can be used with any sized car or SUV, work both with car with or without roof rack;
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
XCAR Roof Rack Carrier Basket Rooftop Cargo Carrier with Extension Black Car
- Four universal U-bolts,accommodating square cross bars up to 4.6" wide x 1.35" thick or round bars up to 1.35" in diameter
- Note - Please make sure your cross bar's distance is greater than 29.7 inch, if you want use the extension part
- Extra large size: Overall Dimension w/ Extension: 64"(L) x 39"(W) x 6'(H); Perfect Car Top Luggage Holder for hauling extra cargo bags, camping equipment, luggage and more
- Min-Max Crossbars Spacing: 23 5/8 - 29 3/4 in (60 - 75.5 cm)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
Best Easy To Use
Thule Pulse Rooftop Cargo Box, Medium
- Fits 3-5 snowboards (max length: 155 cm)
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- External dimensions: 67 x 35 x 16 inches; Internal dimensions: 61 x 33 x 14 inches
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】 Our roof rack cargo carrier comes with an anti-slip mat and 8 thickened adjustable straps that will keep the cargo bag in place. The smooth zipper, adjustable straps, door hooks and robust buckles allows you to effortlessly secure it to any car.
- 【SECURE FIT & LARGE CAPACITY】 Our 21 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag is compatible with vehicles with our without roof rack, the large capacity can keep the shape nicely, even when holding many luggage cases, blanket, tents, sleeping bags and more.
- 【MORE THAN WATERPROOF】 Featuring waterproof zipper wrapped with 6 inches widened velcro zipper flaps, our vehicle cargo carriers will exceed your expectations with the waterproof effet. The reinforced seams will make it possible "zero leakage" even in downpours.
Mockins Roof Cargo Basket Extendable Cargo Roof Rack Cargo Carrier
- 🚙 CARGO SET - 250 lb Capacity Extendable Rooftop Cargo Basket includes a 15 Cu Ft Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag 44" x 18" x 34" made from heavy duty abrasion resistant vinyl. Also included with the roof racks are 2 ratchet straps & a cargo bungee net to ensure your belongings stay safe and secure during your drive.
- 🚙 Nuestro Portaequipaje de Techo con Bolsa Impermeable y Red Elastica de Carga es un accesorio muy útil para viajes largos. Los accesorios incluyen 1 Bolsa de Techo Impermeable, 2 correas de trinquete y 1 Red elástica de carga. Este Portaequipaje de Techo no es compatible sin carriles laterales y barras transversales y recomendamos medir antes de comprar nuestro producto. Lim: 200 lbs Dim. 1092 - 1626 mm de largo, 914 mm de ancho, 152 mm de altura (457 mm con la Bolsa Impermeable)
- 🚙 SECURE: The 6" high metal side rails of our roof rack baskets will keep all your belongings safe and in place throughout your drive. Our SUV roof racks are a great luggage rack for top of car use. ✅ CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Our customers are our #1 priority. If you have questions or concerns about your roof rack cargo carrier please contact us and we will resolve any issues you may have. Carry your cargo in style!
- Useful Attached Tools: The SUV roof rack is equipped with 2pcs 12ft 2200lbs tie-down straps and 1pcs 36"x48" cargo net to provide more strength and protection when stretched over larger cargo items such as tents, luggage, storage boxes, and more.
- Ultra-Durable: The rooftop cargo carrier is constructed from tubular steel which is lightweight but high in strength, it can haul up to 150 lbs of cargo, gear, and equipment. It features sleek fairing that helps to minimize drag and noise, the powder coat is also rust and corrosion-resistant, BUT it is still recommended to park your car indoors and use Truck Bedliner Paint to make the entire rack rustproof.
- Extra Storage Capacity: Get an extra roomy 10 or 13 square ft. of space on top of your vehicle with this roof-mounted cargo carrier! There is a removable rack extension that can be used to adjust it from 35x34x6” to 54x34x6” to fit different cars.
- DURABLE BUILD - Tubular steel in black epoxy powder coating to promote high strength and a lightweight design. and covered in a rust free coating. It is rated for 200 lbs
- EASY ASSEMBLY- Easy to assemble and install on your vehicles cross bars and side rails, mounting with four universal U-bolts. you will need both side rails and cross bars to use this roof basket.
- ACCESSORY INCLUDED - Waterproof rooftop bag (15 Cubic feet), Cargo net with attachment hooks. Ratchet Straps.
Tips for choosing the most appropriate model among the list of best roof rack cargo carrier
Perhaps as a customer, you may be looking for a best roof rack cargo carrier that may provide you with just what you want, such as being environmentally friendly, freely selected, and so on.
In this section, we will discuss with you the buying guides and main factors to consider when planning to buy the product from e-commerce websites, so that when the time comes to make your final selection, everything would be laid out in front of you.
The best roof rack cargo carrier has many characteristics that purchasers adore, and due to its affordable rate, more people may enjoy this optimum quality without needing to pay quite so much money.
Beyond the size, you should also consider whether the volume in cubic feet of space is adequate for your requirements. There are sizes that range from 8 to 22 feet. You can likely find the right size box for you. You should avoid purchasing something too large for your car.
Ease Of Use
Storage capacity is generally more expensive. You will also pay more for extra features and a well-known brand.
You can expect to pay $300-$400+ for a good quality carrier made by reputable manufacturers. Unfortunately, if you require something more, then the cost will go up."
Others only permit access from one side, while some others allow you to open from both sides. Some will only allow you to access the back, so you must be aware of traffic and not stop at the curb.
Will A Cargo Box Affect My Fuel Consumption?
You will experience an increase in fuel consumption. It's very minimal. Fuel economy begins to decline when you drive at highway speeds. Fuel economy can drop by 6-10%
How Much Gear Can I Load?
Three things will determine this:
- Carry capacity of your fitted roof rack
- How the cross bars and roof style are attached to your vehicle
- Size of your rooftop carrier
Do I Need A Roof Rack?
Yes. To mount the rooftop cargo boxes, you will need to have a properly fitted roof rack. All boxes can fit on most roof rack cross bars, and the mounting system is universal. To find the best roof rack for your vehicle, check out our Roof Rack Buyers Guide.
How To Storage A Car Roof Box?
You have several options when it comes to where you store your roof box. You can either keep the roof box in your garage or place it in your backyard with the raincover on. If your vehicle is large enough, you could even store it inside of your car.
I Have A Full-length Box And It Seems To Overhang The Bars A Long Way. Is This OK?
Yes. The boxes have a design that allows approximately 1/3 to hang out behind the rear bars. One third of the roof bars supports the third and the third rests on the front bar.
Can You Drive With An Empty Roof Box?
Yes. However, you should not use your roof box for a prolonged period of time. It could have a negative impact on your fuel consumption and create extra noise.
What Is The Best Position For A Roof Box?
This is the ideal position for the roof box to be centrally located when you look from the front. The weight should be evenly distributed. To avoid roof boxes that extend too far from your windshield, you should set it so that your hatch can be reached.
What Is A Good Size Roof Box?
The best size of roof boxes is the one that suits your specific needs. If you have a small car, it's not worth buying a 22-L roof box. If you are looking to transport skis, you will need to consider the dimensions of your skis when buying a roof cargo container.
Will Roof Racks Scratch My Car?
A rack that is properly attached to a clean roof will not cause damage or scratch to your car. To remove road grime and dirt buildup, we recommend you regularly take your roof rack off of your vehicle.
Do I Need Anything Else Apart From Roof Bars And A Roof Box?
No. Every roof box that we sell comes with a pair of standard and box fittings, along with a set straps for keeping luggage in place. Because the boxes are secured to roof bars by the fixings inside, they can not be lifted from their bars once locked.
In summary, the best roof rack cargo carrier is the one that will provide you with exactly what you want. Provided that you are not satisfied with the models listed above, we propose YLAUTO Rooftop Cargo Carrier, Roof Rack Cargo Carrier with AntiSlip Mat for you.
If you are unclear about how to select an item for yourself or someone else at any time in this post, please let us know! Our team of professionals is always pleased to help you find the best match.